Monday 1 May 2017

Four in Art

Second Quarter Theme: Light in the Darkness

There were so many options with this theme and sub theme. I chose the sub theme this time around, so I guess ideas had been bubbling away for a while; however ideas are one thing and realisation is quite another and the deadline seemed to come around extra quick!

I decided for this one to play with the idea of lighting from within and without. This piece is supposed to represent a high rise building, reflecting the setting sun and the skyline of shadowy more distant buildings and then having some floors of the building lit from within as people labour away.






The quilting is supposed to show the individual windows and the two tone different reflection and dimensions of the building as the light bends.

As I built the piece from the top down I was quite liking the effect of the colour variations in the green yellow and ochre striped section and will store that idea away for another quilt I think.
I used lots of shot cottons for the shimmer and it may be hard to tell from the photos but I put sections different ways round to hopefully enhance that effect. I had quite a few large scraps which I was able to use, which was satisfying.



It was extraordinarily hard to keep the grid straight. I sewed one way and then the other top to bottom and bottom to top and similarly left to right/ right left but it still seemed to pull the stripes a little, but I told myself that light can bend on glass in a similar way...?





I debated about the green section in the top third because I made it intentionally curved up at the right hand end as part of a curved reflection and nearly unpicked it and think I perhaps should have, but it's all part of the learning process.



I bound it skinnily (if that's a word) with a tiny squared fabric, also used in the piece and the whole measures approximately 15 x 24" or 39 x 60.5cm

I'm super keen to see how the other group members have interpreted the theme and you can do that at our group blog here, where you'll also find links to people's individual blogs with more information about each piece.

5 comments:

  1. You've really captured the effect and mood of the reflected sunset and that radiant sky, and the lit offices below - it's fantastic! I can see from your close-up photos how beautifully the shot cottons are contributing to this beautiful shiny quality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interpretation!!! The best perspective, I think, is to view it as though the buildings are truly in the distance - such depth. I'm always amazed by how well shot cottons work just how we want. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally saw the building and light movement of the piece even before i stated reading your description. Whether or not you intended to quilt the slightly wavy lines, i think they added a lot of movement to the piece. Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely interpretation of the theme. I'm only sorry not to see it in real life. The close ups of the shot cottons are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked that you captured the light and darkness found in a reflection from a building. The different shades and shapes of color bring out the geometry of the sky rise. Building reflections can be an art form in and of themselves. This is a wonderful addition to your previous Four in Art Quilt. I love seeing how each artist interprets the theme so differently.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read them and always try to reply by email. If you're a no reply blogger I won't be able to email you though so check back for a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...