Alfred decided it would be fun to climb a tree and hang the quilt down for the photo shoot since the tree's a bit short of leaves at the moment!
The design consists of increasing bands of colour on a background of batik blue with a tiny green dot.
Most of the colored strips were scraps left over from other quilts I'd made, but I bought the batik specially. I had some beautiful soft flannels in my stash , which I'd bought ages ago with Alfred's quilt back in mind, at that stage I knew he wanted a primary colored quilt but that was as far as I'd got. So I bought enough of the blue and red in a sale for a quilt back for him, but it had sat for several years, through one international and one local move! Eventually though, I do get around to things, even if I'm not speedy about it! Lucky he didn't change his mind about colour preference!
I wanted to include some yellow (not a flannel) to finish off the primary plan. And pieced it to suggest the bars of colour on the front and add a bit of interest, rather than having a plain back. The quilt is twin size. One struggle I had was that the check design is not actually printed exactly straight with the grain of the fabric and I thought it would really make a difference if it looked straight, so that was a bit of a challenge to line up. Same issue with the binding, although I didn't fuss as much about that.
It's a success and last year I made him a square pillow cover with a few more leftovers, for sitting up and reading in bed, or wherever... He seems happy enough about it!