Friday 22 May 2015

Shirt Love

I have been working on this quilt off and on for several months. And it's the first finish in my Q2 goals for the Finish Along. Yay! The collection of materials for this quilt has taken place over several years. I had asked my husband and brother to save their cotton shirts for this project once the collar and cuffs got too scruffy for work wear. The beautiful soft cottons are destined probably for several quilts.


Here's the first which I'm entering in the nick of time for the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. Fading light and uncharged proper cameras make for less than perfect pics for the time being unfortunately. 
Maybe I can update this post with some better ones in a day or two.


I based it roughly on a Kaffe Fassett design which is conveniently constructed in four panels: asymmetrical left and right panels and a top and bottom panel across the width of the quilt.



I constructed the back from a lovely piece of paisley flannel I've had in my stash for a few years. It was made up to size with some favourite old kids' pyjamas and flannel scraps from another quilt.




I considered calling this quilt Working Style since that seems to be the favoured shirt brand! I left several of the labels in place to allude to the former life of these fabrics.





For the binding I ended up deciding to add two strips of the red I used in the back to echo the few reds in the quilt itself and they provide a nice counterpoint to the more sober Architextures crosshatch which provides the majority of the binding.


I've quilted it in widely spaced lines along the piecing. I may or may not add some red hand quilting in due course?!


 For time saving, although I generally enjoy the hand sewing process to finish, I elected to machine this one in the ditch on the front to catch in the edge of the double fold.








 I can see this one getting lots of use in the cooler months for sitting reading or watching. It's the prototype for a few more quilts using these fabrics and more which keep coming my way :-)









Quilt Stats:
Size 70x75" Total 290"
Cotton Shirts with cotton flannel backing
Bamboo cotton batting
Machine bound and quilted







13 comments:

  1. Quilt envy - I love it. I'll have to dig out my stack of chopped up shirts and get going. Your binding is just right, of course:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this quilt! The pops of red are so important. You have such an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great way to re-purpose shirts - love the blues with the pops of red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to do a double take and make sure this wasnt mine! Mine is very similar, and I love yours just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! The soft blues and stripes look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Et voilĂ ! Perfect quilt, perfect binding, and... perfect pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fantastic!! I really like the pops of red.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous quilt–I particularly like how you've incorporated some of the shirt labels into the design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this quilt! The textures and the pop of red are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how this turned out with the bit of red in the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely and I bet it's wonderfully soft!

    *Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad*

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this quilt! Makes me wish I had kept some of my late Father-In-Laws shirts and made a quilt for my husband. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read them and always try to reply by email. If you're a no reply blogger I won't be able to email you though so check back for a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...